Saturday, March 6, 2010

PULP

I certainly hope my post is in the correct compartment! The header says WSUPrintmaking so here goes....
I attended the opening of PULP in El Dorado last night and found it enjoyable. There were installations and prints and paintings and drawings and collages and books and lots to take in. I enjoyed the prints the best and of those I found our noble instructor's to be the most sophisticated.
Monika's use of color and her diffuse technique result in such a rich product. The layers of images and spacial composition create works I feel that I could not only touch but enter. The interplay of hard line and soft texture draw me in. Found myself peeking at the back of the prints just to see how much ink penetrated paper.
There were a set of block prints and a set of embossed paper pieces in one corner that I found engaging. Maybe it was the color...a beautiful blue-green, or maybe the subject...sky and horizon. Maybe I'm just a sucker for paper.
One large mixed media piece by a fellow named Oehm reminded me of the work of James Rosenquist with it's pieced sections of various images...portraiture, industrial images, food...something for everyone.
Most of the works presented held personal meaning and nostalgia for the artists. One though, was a "Bead Curtain for Oscar Wilde" made of long green rolled paper beads inter-spaced between cut and folded paper chairs, cherubs, feathers, paper flowers and other things. Charming!
I'd say the silliest piece was a sculpture called "Deconstructed Paper". It consisted of a clear acrylic base with a yard long, vertical clear acrylic tube attached to it. Inside the tube was dry, powdery white paper "pulp". Oh well.
Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment