Saturday, March 27, 2010

Margaret's Ideal Critique

Let's see now....what would this look like? I agree with Ann that it should give me enough detail and honesty to help me grow as an artist by improving my skills.
In other classes there are rubrics given to students showing how instructors assess assignments. I like the similarly constructed grading sheets we get in printmaking. The various grading categories are listed with possible points and supporting comments.
The crit we had on Monday was organized in such a way that we had adequate time to formulate our feedback before stating it. I liked that approach and the fact that we were given specific points to consider. I tend to be blunt and still worry about my classmates' feelings. I am also not yet very sure of my judgments. I need to build on the practice of critically looking at art that is offered in my classes. Hearing what others have to say about anyone's work is helpful.
This said, I invite critics of my work to offer as much perspective as possible. I know it is not my self being judged. Mostly I would ask that my composition skills be carefully critiqued with comments pointing out strengths and weaknesses. These comments should include the use of art and design vocabulary. Intuitive as well as thoughtful responses to my work are welcome. For instance, a variety of comments on what seems to work and not work along with shared feelings about specific elements that are bothersome to individual viewers. In short, my ideal critique would include specific feedback from as many perspectives as possible in order for me to have both variety and consensus among the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment