Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A Chihuly blog... cause I can

When I was at the Oklahoma City art museum, besides the Jason Peters exhibit there was a big Chihuly exhibit also. As usual for Chihuly stuff, it was stunningly beautiful and a festival to the eyes. We looked at all of his stuff and before leaving checked out the giftshop. There are dozens of books written about this guy. I mean, his stuff is everywhere. The Wichita art museum, the art museum on KU's campus, in rivers in Finland, over the waterways in Venice - I mean seriously. Everywhere. I can't even imagine how much money this dude pulls in from blowing so much glass all the time. I've read a little about him - how he started out as a student of interior design and sculpture and picked up blowing glass along the way and became a pioneer of sorts for the medium. He has a whole posse of glass-blowers to help him make and assemble all of the pieces. I do admire his work, though, it's always so gorgeous and resembles a wild Dr. Suess-like world of glass flowers and vegetation. Plus, to create a style that's so highly revered to be placed in virtually every region of every country is impressive. If you find an aesthetic that's pleasing to so many people, that's respectable. I can dig it.
Here are some pictures, since everyone likes to look at pictures. The first two are from his "Chihuly Over Venice" work, and the last is from the exhibit I saw in Oklahoma.






Hannah Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment