Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Cecily Brown

Sorry for the barrage of posts - I guess it's obvious that I had to catch up on a few of these blogs...

Anyway, the most recent assignment in my Intro to Acrylics class is to choose an artist from a list and recreate a few of their works (changing the color and composition of two). I chose Cecily Brown without ever seeing her work before. Now I feel stupid for saying that, since researching her I discovered she's one of the highest selling contemporary artists out there. Her work appeals to my own aesthetic of the human figure and movement, usually involving nature or a familiar environment. She uses coarse, complicated brushstrokes, placing her figures (who are usually coupled - most of her pieces are pretty erotic) in chaotic and disjointed settings. The forms are never whole, leaving your eyes to fill in what Brown left out. Her style is wispy and rugged, and her palette is oozing with organic color - deep meaty flesh and bright vivid earth tones. I found some images of her work - I would suggest Googling her for some more - they're all great.





Hannah Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment