Saturday, March 27, 2010

Final Friday

I started at Shift Space. Didn't really get much out of most of it other than becoming more clear about my preferences. The videos were kind of boring. My feelings about litter and the fact that the whole balloon thing isn't unique override any positive feelings about that piece although the prints were just OK. I enjoyed blowing on the piece to watch it move.
My fave is Michael Miller's Chaoskampf. Like that he starts with only parameters of what he wants the pieces to be (outdoor, organic in appearance, etc) and allows his process with materials to let them come into being.

I went into CityArts because I like dogs and images of dogs. Didn't spend much time there. Was cheered by one of the sculptures just inside the door. Title: Pug Business. Life-size image of a pug with a cigarette in its mouth and holding a cell phone to its ear.

At Tangent Lab the videos were interesting. I watched part of the one with old buildings and houses with spacey meteor shower effect in background. Structures of memory and dream for me. The unsteady pile of self-help books was cute. The masked crazy disrupting individuals in peaceful settings bored me by the second sequence so I probably didn't give it a chance.
Summoning of Infernal Legions, set in a grave yard, was too much like The Blair Witch Project and scenes from Easy Rider. There was one that had tones of Surrealism called Holographia.
The two films I thought lived up best to the theme of non-narrative video were the one framed by TV test pattern images and the one titled Bora Bora Manta Ray. The liquid imagery in the last was beautifully musical in nature and incorporated the mirror image ink blot element very nicely. I felt that the sound track took away from this one. A single tone or silence might have suited it better. It had the peaceful, guided meditation look of a lava lamp or wave machine.
Margaret R.

No comments:

Post a Comment