Friday, February 19, 2010

The Starlight Calliope

A few years back I got into this comic book, The Starlight Calliope, by Andrew Hussie. Time passed, and I completely forgot about it, among a lot of other really good works by the dude. So, I was just goofing around on the internet, and it popped into my head for some reason.

So it turns out I can actually buy the comic book now. Sweet. I'm totally gonna do that.

They offer the first 50 pages of the comic for free online, so I suggest you take a look at it. The artwork is pretty damned spectacular. Andrew Hussie has that insane way of making his characters embody a very organic and natural feel, while still maintaining a great cartoony atmosphere. I guess it's the same way that John K. makes Ren & Stimpy look. Except I'd say John K. exaggerates his characters far, far more.

Hussie's style itself is almost always presented in some strange alternate universe, where technology has advanced to the point of...well, just think of Blade Runner. Only happier. And if you haven't seen Blade Runner, then I am ashamed to know you.

Aside from my disappointment with you (you dirty, filthy heathen), the story itself is actually pretty interesting, even if it is highly disturbing. And hilarious (or at least I think it is). I won't spoil it for you, because, well, it happens within the first few pages anyway.

http://www.teamspecialolympics.com/whistlessite/preview.php?page=000.gif

There's the site. Check it out.

-Salem

No comments:

Post a Comment