Thursday, February 18, 2010

Beautiful Korean Manhwa

I think there is some misconceptions about comic book art at least between those who are casual art consumers. I can't count the number of times I've heard knock on comic books and manga as not being art and just childish entertainment material.

Well, whenever I hear that type of talk I always wish I could pull out The Bride of the Water God by Yun Mi-kyung which has some of the most beautiful Korean art I've ever seen. The mix of traditional art and modern use of digital screen-tones and affects bring a whole new ambiance.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjjIsehias_juU0YxRbrEaHBmWJogEWUuwf8c9gYjyrgldjUq61OH3qzbUEPvnlxgJ38d4UeI0ZSi1i2Nj8y5rDdrVQK8oCgX-fz2SMPnJ7nXVCPFEYJ3z8-1gXCEMjne5GLi4Z_pkkAUfo/s400/watergod.JPG

There is a delicate balance between the original watercolor art and the print-this is a full color illustration in the third volume I believe. There are of course many more amazing artists creating manga and comic books but Yun Mi-Kyung is one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment