Monday, February 15, 2010

A Glimpse - Emily Ritter

Recently I have gotten a glimpse into the art world, or at least part of it. This month, I have my work up at the Vagabond, which is also my place of employment. I was excited to have my work up for a month at the place I work, because I would be able to hear the public's opinion. The good and the bad. In my mind, it would be interesting to basically have a type of critique outside of the art department. That is not what I have received. From the Vagabond patrons, I have heard nothing but good things. "Oh, that is really cool." "They all look so different. I like it." And so on with the vague, biased compliments. Don't get me wrong, I am really happy with the reaction I have gotten. It makes me feel good that the public actually likes my work. I have actually sold quite a few, and have set a new record for the Vagabond (which usually has horrible "art" up on the walls), but I wonder if they are just saying these nice things because they see me every time they come in. That they are afraid to hurt my feelings by telling me how they feel. Or maybe it is that they do not know how to articulate what they see and how they see it.

The other side of the art world that I wish I wouldn't have to deal with, but will have to deal with more and more, are the people that take the microscopic piece of authority that they have to a whole new level. This might just be an isolated case, but I highly doubt that. I have been given a hard time for "not pricing my work high enough" or "not framing things correctly" or the best one so far "not replacing a space" because I sold a piece to a guy that wanted to give it as a valentine's day present. I keep reminding myself "it is the Vagabond, not the Met." I am amazed at how people get all worked up over a piece having a weighed bottom, or being of a reasonable price. Most all of my pieces are between 35 and 50 bucks. That is why they are selling, because people can afford them. Oh well, I better get use to this pointless bickering and misuse of power. Maybe I should shoot the prices up to 1,000 dollars and be an unsuccessful artist. Get a big head. Become full of myself just like the people that are in charge. Honestly though, I rather not be that pathetic and just do what I do, stick to what I know, and stand up for myself.

This was partly me venting, but it has to do with art, so there ya go.

No comments:

Post a Comment