Sunday, February 7, 2010

Cartoon Art Work

I'm confused on whether cartoons can be considered art or not and the reason is because of school. I hear that some people who are part of the staff don't consider it art, but why not? Are cartoons not something we create by drawing them or making them on computer just like any other art piece? Can they not be considered abstract sometimes? I don't understand but whether they are or are not considered art work, it is the type of art work that I do on a regular basis. I want to be an illustrator or a cartoonist, although I'm still workin on creating my own style. If there is a way, I would like to create cartoons as works of art in some kind of way some day. I'm still figuring things out, but with practice I'm sure I'll get it.

- Lee Jones

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there Lee! All through high school my best friend, a very talented cartoonist, was constantly blasted by the art teachers because everything he produced had a cartoony look. Now, my take on the whole thing is that cartoons are a category of art. That said, I think that we are expected to be well rounded in our education so that we can "do" realism, abstraction, etc. The way I make peace with it is to figure I'm stretching myself beyond preferred boundaries in order to learn about myself as well as to learn new skills. You know that stretching can be uncomfortable.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete