Sunday, February 21, 2010

Kathe Kollwitz is an amazing artist! She drew some pretty serious subject matter like people, particularly women and children, in abject poverty, sick, or dying. These were not polite, feminine little colorful paintings that went well with one's decor, but rather, they were stark and mostly black and white drawings. Her subjects' features were really carved out on her paper. I think of her as the German version of Toolouse Lautrec, but the Paris academy would have had a real issue with her, I suppose.

I liked Lee's comments about music and art, and wondered what everyone likes to listen to when they have music on and are making art. I like almost everything but really like Mozart or Bach when I need help with ideas. I've been listening a lot lately to Al Green, Nirvana and anything funk, like Parliament and the Ohio Players. Hope everyone has a safe Sunday. The frozen rain is really pinging off the windows. ann

2 comments:

  1. When I am trying to come up with ideas, or when I am working on something, I usually listen to music with not a lot of vocals, things like God Is An Astronaut, Explosions in the Sky, Sigur Rós, and Four Tet. I also like to listen to funky things sometimes, Parliament is a good one.

    -Aaron Rivera

    ReplyDelete
  2. Current chilling music for me has included Damezumari, Panda Bear, Animal Collective, the late and local band Paper Airplanes, with a little Destroyer Destroyer and Converge in their.

    -Benjamin

    ReplyDelete