Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Power of LIne

I just spent the hour studying Lasansky's Nazi Drawings, and despite feeling a little raw from such brutal images, I am blown away by the power of the simple lines that the artist used to convey such horrendously cruel atrocities. Seeing these drawings in person must be overwhelming because most of them are so big, and imagining how the artist must have felt while making this art reminds me of Mel Chin's recent comments about having to be compelled to create his art. Lasansky's spiral mark making reminds me of piles of unfriendly and cruel barbed wire, perfect for depicting the clothing of both executioner and victim. If anyone else is interested in anti-Nazi art, check out the Berlin Dada artists of the twenties and thirties. Lasanksy's drawings remind me of George Grosz's paintings and John Hartfield's collages.

Also, I really enjoyed seeing everyone's work at Critique this week. It is clear that everyone has very interesting ideas and lots of talent. All the different approaches to the same assignment were marvelous, and I am please to be included in such a great group of artists. ann

No comments:

Post a Comment