Sunday, April 18, 2010

An Interesting and Frustrating Book-katie brown

I was recently given a book by a friend of my mom's-I know a bad sign from the get go-and the title was another tip off. Why Art Cannot Be Taught by James Elkins is a self titled Handbook for Art Students but I have found it closer to a rant against art programs and any sort of regulated curriculum. It has some good points about the differences in the purpose of art-comparing the mindset of different time periods with our own. The interesting part of this read besides the conflicting attitude of the author that is-is the fact it was given to me by a self title artist-one who actually attended WSU.

I am mainly interested in seeing if the term "ART" will ever been adequately defined in the book. The logic bind of saying art cannot be taught while attending a University for an art degree cannot be accepted without raising an eyebrow. So I'll continue reading the book and see if it clears up some of these frustrating inconsistencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment