Sunday, April 4, 2010

Esref Armagan

My dad showed me this video a while ago and I think it's so amazing and inspiring. Esref Armagan is a painter from Turkey who has been blind since he was born. Volvo approached him with an offer to paint their newest model - their S60 sedan - before it's revealed to the world at any car show or through any media outlet. You can see in the video how he does this, and the end result is truly magnificent.
Of course I didn't expect a hyper-realistic rendition of the car in his painting, but the little things in his final piece amaze me most. Armagan incorporates perspective into the piece, with the trees clearly placed in the background of the piece, and the car as the primary form in the foreground. I kept thinking about how he has been blind his entire life - he has never seen a landscape or experienced a sense of perspective through his own vision. His world must look completely different from our own, since he's had to develop it from his own range of senses. It really blows my mind. Anyway, here's the video. Watch and enjoy!


Hannah Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment