Sunday, November 8, 2009



Hello, all.

In my increasing quest to find an identity for myself as an artist, I've been looking to my most immediate resources. You see, I'm a graphic design major, but my original intent was to go into illustration. I've also considered being a tattoo artist or maybe just sticking with graphic design. I'm maddeningly indecisive about it. Well, now I'm verging on considering production design for theater or maybe even movies, if I can get that far. I've always loved studying the intricacies of production design and my sister is a theater tech major, so with her skills in lighting and fly rails, maybe we could combine our efforts and monopolize a local theater industry somewhere.

But I digress. Long story short, I've been looking into a family friend's career as a graphic, environmental, and theatrical designer. Michael Downs is extremely talented and has designed everything you could think of from the lion exhibit at the Sedgwick County Zoo, to the South American tour of Grease. My favorite works of his are the sets for Oliver and Cindrillon. His style is really different and nothing like most of what you see on a regular basis. I probably can't hope to have as much success in my life, but I can at least aspire to it.

downsart.net

Jana

No comments:

Post a Comment